[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: Question: How much does administration in Chapters cost the Wikimedia movement?

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 15:01:31 UTC 2013

2013/4/25 Fae <faewik at gmail.com>:

> fundraising =
>   administering grants and fund applications
>   (I can see your grant, other income and membership dues, but not the
> cost of managing these; it may be better to estimate them and deduct
> them from "administration" rather than leaving this as zero)

Actually it is hidden in general operational costs, but rather hard to
precise calculation as it is made mainly by volunteers. The landing
page and banners are made for free by Leinad in cooperation with a
compay. Our landing page is on our toolserver so the cost of hosting
it is also close to 0 as the amount of resources it needs is
negligible.. There is some work needed by accountant to calculate
donations but it is already covered in her salary. Let assume it is 5%
of her work-time each year. Then our secretary sends a snail-mail
letters to our donors each year - the cost of it was 1100 PLN + 2 days
of work of her. It might be altogether around 3000 PLN (700 EUR).

> I am unsure where Promotion (Promocja) fits in, this may need to be
> broken down a little more if it splits between the 3 categories above.
> Does this mean that you could now calculate a provisional 'fundraising
> : program : administration' ratio?

This is cost of printing leaflets and producing gadgets + costs of
maintaing  our boots during several festivals and external
conferences. Roughly it might be added to the outreach programs.

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/