[Wikimedia-l] Lack of community involvement in WMF budget planning

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 21:36:03 UTC 2013

phoebe ayers, 23/04/2013 22:00:
> [...]
>> I think it is clear that the community can provide valuable feedback,
>> although any feedback just in itself should not be the purpose in its own,
>> right?
>>

> I guess it might be helpful to figure out what the point of feedback is,
> exactly.  [...]

Dariusz is right here in starting with a firm point, in my opinion;
without such a premise, the discussion can hardly go anywhere. I also
agree that you'd have to figure out a process, but not that you can
judge feedback before having it.
In my opinion and personal experience, input/<insert term> to decision
makers is always and unconditionally valuable and helpful to them,
provided that:
1) it's non-violent,
2) there is clarity of roles and institutional responsibility,
3) it's actually dealt with (in whatever way).

I'd also say that a board unable to ensure (in some way) these 3 basic
requirements would be so dysfunctional as to be useless, and I'm glad to
see Sj has proposals to make it work (sorry if I repeat myself:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.wikimedia.foundation/64242 ).

Nemo