[Wikimedia-l] Lack of community involvement in WMF budget planning

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 19:16:12 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, April 23, 2013, Tomasz W. Kozlowski wrote:

> Steven,
> I am actually disappointed to see you bring such an example to back up a
> thesis that — that's the impression I'm getting — the community cannot
> provide valuable feedback on budget-related matters.
>
> The experience that I have is quite opposite: as far as I am aware,
> community members have been providing fantastic feedback for all kinds of
> issues, including financial ones (with the GAC, which is a community
> committee, being the most prominent example).

I don't view GAC and other insular committees as a successful model
for open community feedback. They typically are formed from a relatively
tiny group of people who like being on such committees, are slow, and tend
to become inactive over time.

I already gave an example, FDC, of where community feedback failed to
provide insights in to the budget and planning of a top priority team when
invited to do so before it was accepted. Do you have other examples where
constructive community feedback prior to finalization led to substantive
changes in a WMF-related budget?

(I of course am talking solely about community feedback on financial
planning in this case, not about the dozens and dozens of ways the
community functions more smoothly and efficiently than the WMF.)