[Wikimedia-l] Proposal: [WCA][Governance] Training for chapter and thematic org. board members

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 14:40:03 UTC 2013

As you say, the WMF and a few chapters do have such an induction process
already.  Perhaps we can coordinate those existing processes with whatever
is developed for the rest of the affiliates.  For instance, there might be
a few of these workshops each year; at least one of them at Wikimania.  The
WMF could co-sponsor the Wikimania workshop, since at that meeting we
usually induct some new Trustees (including any new elected or
chapter-selected Trustees).

There should also be in-depth training available for those who want to
learn about specific tasks of boards, which at least one Trustee should be
familiar with: financial oversight; legal oversight; recruiting and
evaluating an ED; strategy development.  It may be more cost-effective for
us to invite some experts to come and give a dozen workshops over the 3
days of Wikimania than to send dozens of individual Trustees to such
workshops around the world.

@Rodrigo - yes, materials developed for such workshops should be shared
publicly, translated, available to all.  And yes, some topics will be
different in different countries - not only based on whether they are in
Europe, but also based on the national laws in their jurisdiction.  But I
think shared training is still a good idea.

Regards,

SJ