[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Chapters] Question: How do we define lobbying?

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 01:38:25 UTC 2013

I believe the WMF can spend $1M a year on lobbying (per Doug's
comments, our budget, and our current choice to use the 'expenditure
test').  We currently spend almost none of this -- which I think is
too little.
http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Measuring-Lobbying-Activity:--Expenditure-Test

Also worth noting: some related activity is not considered lobbying.
If you are unsure about whether a project that you think is important
would include lobbying, it is worth asking for specific advice.
http://www.clpi.org/images/pdf/Exclusions%20from%20Lobbying%20Color.qxp.pdf

I would like to see a discussion (on the Grants talk page) on how a
group might apply specifically for a lobbying grant. That would at
least let the WMF calculate how much was being spent in lobbying
across all of its [lobbying grants] for the year.   Is this possible?
I don't know if there are further restrictions on funds spent on
international lobbying.

SJ

Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266