[Wikimedia-l] Question: How much does administration in Chapters cost the Wikimedia movement?

Richard Symonds richard.symonds at wikimedia.org.uk
Fri Apr 19 12:08:32 UTC 2013

This is a really interesting discussion, and one which has been mulled over
in the WMUK offices for a while now. I have to agree with Christophe and
Delphine that grouping all salaries or all office costs together isn't the
best way of doing things, as grouping the salaries for the fundraisers and
the salaries for the event staff into the same category doesn't tell you
anything really useful internally.

Delphine makes another good point in that local specifics would have to be
taken into account: for example, costs for everything in London will be
very much higher than costs in, say, Estonia. Comparing WMDE and WMEE would
be interesting, but not very helpful for improving our practices - they
operate in very different circumstances (although obviously both do great
work!)

To an extent, WMUK already do a breakdown as part of our Financial
reporting at
https://docs.google.com/a/wikimedia.org.uk/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkP38YPQ7Tg3dGRkSnAwSlZKZWFFZGlRTndweTZWdGc#gid=0,
but we don't break down staff costs into various fields until our
end-of-year report. The 'basic breakdown' in the UK charity sector is, as I
understand it, 'Charitable costs/Governance costs/Fundraising costs'.

*All of that being said, this is a good idea* - but I'm wondering if our
FDC reports might help with coming up with categories for this? A very
useful discussion!

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992