[Wikimedia-l] "Tweet this page" from some or all sites???

Mathieu Stumpf psychoslave at culture-libre.org
Thu Apr 18 10:05:25 UTC 2013

Le 2013-04-18 05:00, James Alexander a écrit :
> I tend to think that they can be incredibly useful and reader
> friendly. I've always found it a bit disappointing we don't have it
> as
> they are probably the bigger reader request I've ever seen.

Please provide metrics and numbers. You know how our personal
impressions are biased with our personal interets. And you also know
how metrics, while not providing "absolute truth", assuage our biases.

> That said
> I know that enWiki has had multiple discussions about it ending in
> failure. The issues mostly seem to stem from the "we're not MySpace"
> crowd which I think misses the point that we both "are" a social
> network and that we're an educational site (and should encourage
> sharing that information) but <sigh>.

Then you may promote "wikisocial" if you like. I'm not sure it would be
manageable to come with a solution responding to both "social network
features" and "privacy concerns".

> However! That doesn't stop other projects from doing it and I would
> love to see those that do. Wikinews has ha their social bookmarks
> template for a while now and we adapted it for the fundraiser a while
> ago on WMF wiki as well as a very nice version for the anti SOPA
> protests.. I don't have the links handy but can get them at home and
> think the best thing to do would be to search through the history
> because they've gone through a couple variations. There is a bug on
> bugzilla as well to add the meta information required for a more
> useful Facebook share (and I think G+) which also is unlikely to be
> that big of a problem.

Not talking about the privacy dilema, Wikipedia must remain neutral
which mean whether providing more **internal** social network features
(the coming Echo extension may provide some of them) or providing
nothing. But in my humble opinion, including some third party
dependances is a not an option if we want to stay neutral. Argumentum ad
populum[1] is not receivable.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

> The only thing to keep in mind is that we occasionally need
> creativity. The "default" way that most sites tell you to share is
> often problematic for our privacy policy because it either has a
> script call to the home sight on page load or requires an iframe
> (Facebook likes I'm looking at you). That said they all have options
> that can work for us they are just a bit more hidden.

There's no such thing as "the only thing to keep in mind". We sure want
more engaged editors, and "creativity" surely is welcome. But we have
other constraints which are not less important, and we can't afford to
forget it.

--
Association Culture-Libre
http://www.culture-libre.org/