[Wikimedia-l] Lack of community involvement in WMF budget planning

Tomasz W. Kozłowski odder.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 11:18:59 UTC 2013

Hi there,
I was reading some fundraising-related pages today, and stumbled upon
the planning cycle for the 2013/2014 fiscal year budget at
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/w/index.php?title=File:Part_II-_2012-13_Year-to-Date_and_Lookahead_to_Planning_for_2013-14.pdf&page=10>.

I noticed that there is no space left for open community consultation
period, and since this has been published by a WMF staff member /and/
on the WMF wiki, I'm assuming it's the official stance of the
Foundation.

Without going into unneccessary detail, let me just ask a simple
question: are there any particular reasons why the WMF does not want
community input on the budget, and drafts such a vital document in
total privacy?

Thanks,
--
Tomasz W. Kozłowski