[Wikimedia-l] French intelligency agency forces removal of a Wikipedia article

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 19:06:59 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Romaine Wiki <romaine_wiki at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Apr 2013 12:31:29, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:
> > I can't see what would be sensitive in the article..
>
> I think that the existence of the article is considered too sensitive for
> them, not realizing that all information is already elsewhere on the
> internet.

A couple of years ago, the guy in charge of the CIA's internal MediaWiki
(the Intelligence Wiki, which they added classification levels etc) did a
talk at ... Usenix?  LISA?  One of their conferences.

He was talking about challenges.  The code certification was interesting.
 The Wiki project getting in trouble for having (US classified) Secret, Top
Secret, or Top Secret SCI (Secure Compartmented Information) in the
"Open-unclassified" category *due to Wikipedia uploads/imports* was
apparently a major ongoing pain point for the whole organization.

Fortunately not one that was being exposed to the public, other than his
talk...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com