[Wikimedia-l] Proposal to use the internal wiki more

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 11:07:33 UTC 2013

Michael Peel, 03/04/2013 12:43:
> Thanks Nemo - that's a very useful link. It's good to see that there's a number of "merge w/ internal" comments/suggestions there, which would make a lot of sense to me.

Disclaimer: I didn't add those notes. :)

Second technical note: a merge from a private wiki to another is very
simple, because you don't have to check for confidentiality.
For small wikis without files it's just a matter of Special:Export and
Special:Import by a user with sufficient rights. Pages can be imported
into a new namespace to avoid conflicts and to add namespace-specific
user permissions if needed. Sysadmins are able to do it right, the only
missing piece being the logs; it was recently done with wikitech-old
merged into http://wikitech.wikimedia.org .

Nemo