[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia-blog] [Wikimedia Announcements] Joint statement from Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia UK

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 00:33:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow. I honestly didn't think the conflict of interest issue was this
> serious. What does giving up the next fundraiser due to the WM-UK
> budget? Does this change reflect a lack of trust between the WMF and
> the current WM-UK leadership?

Hi Nathan,

Just on the fundraiser point -- the idea of the new FDC (funds
dissemination committee) process is that chapter budget allocations
would be totally independent of how much they do or don't raise via
payment-processing -- on the principle that funds should be allocated
according to need/impact, rather than tied to or based on in-country
fundraising stats. So WMUK's budget planning process shouldn't be
changed, aside from maybe how they plan for the fundraiser, since they
would prepare a project budget for review either way.

-- Phoebe (not speaking for anyone!)