[Wikimedia-l] (semi-OT) Open access "catastrophic" for Elsevier

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 01:31:26 UTC 2012

On 24 September 2012 21:20, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 3:33 AM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It's funny, most organizations point to our community as am example of
> how
> > to manage such things with volunteers.
> >
> > Another example: law reviews offer an excellent and widely reproduced
> model
> > where the most esteemed publications are run by students.

Well, perhaps. But their "peer review" is courtrooms, where the decisions
are made publicly and are produced by the justice system free of charge to
the journals.  Otherwise, the articles are written by students with faculty
advisors reviewing their work.  I don't think anyone wants medical studies
to be "peer reviewed" by medical students.

> Another amusing example is The Economist current affairs magazine. I hear
> their
> contributors don't, as a rule, run to grey whiskers and tweed jackets.
>
> --

You're correct; a lot of them are paid journalists, and the rest are paid
columnists.

Risker/Anne