[Wikimedia-l] Paid editing language wide

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 19:55:46 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> it.wiki is extremely strict as regards usernames which contain or equal the
> names of entities or internet domains (blocked on sight); editing articles
> about yourself is strongly discouraged but not forbidden; COI is a tough
> matter and there are no clear rules.
>
> Discussions on similar transparency matters (like sockpuppets,
> reincarnations and assorted stuff) led nowhere, so I think interested users
> are mostly trying to get outsiders understand how Wikipedia works; a good
> example is this unofficial "marketing for dummies" guide:
> <https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utente:DracoRoboter/Il_marketing_delle_aziende_e_Wikipedia,_for_dummies>
> (warning! it's very draco-style, and if you don't know what I mean be really
> careful ;-) ).
> As a good example I can mention "Share your knowledge" which discourages
> partners from editing articles about themselves or adding links to their
> website by themselves. Only rare exceptions are suggested:
> <https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progetto:GLAM/Come_iniziare#Principi_generali_da_seguire>
>
> I'll try to get someone more informed than me to update the Meta page.
>
> Nemo

Florence,

This is the guidance I give on my own guide to "Why was my article
deleted?" on en.wp
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Seraphimblade/Deletion_FAQ#.7B.7Bdb-spam.7D.7D.2C_G11).
It's not a policy, just an FAQ I put together, but this is what I have
regarding the deletion of spam/ad articles. Some have told me they
found it useful.

{{db-spam}}, G11

The article is clearly written to promote a company, product,
organization, website, or really is intended to promote anything.
Articles must be neutral in tone, blatantly promotional material will
be deleted immediately. While the subject might be suitable for an
article if it otherwise passes the notability guidelines, you may not
place an ad or puff piece here-period. We strongly discourage editors
from editing articles on subjects they have a direct interest in
promoting, including articles on the editor him/herself, the editor's
company, the editor's employee or employer, the editor's band, etc.
Such edits should first be discussed with editors who do not have a
conflict of interest.

I think a clearer policy on COI editing would be desirable.
Personally, I would like to see a "hard line" approach taken, where
COI and/or paid editing disclosure is a requirement rather than a
suggested "best practice", such editors are restricted to talk page
editing on a mandatory basis, and editors found to be editing with a
COI or for pay and not fully disclosing it are banned immediately upon
discovery. That's just my opinion though, and does not reflect current
policy.

Todd Allen/Seraphimblade, en.wp