[Wikimedia-l] CNET News: "Corruption in Wikiland? Paid PR scandal erupts at Wikipedia"

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 07:18:33 UTC 2012

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at gmail.com> wrote:

> In the past, those conversations were short, and ended in a permaban (cf.
> Jimbo's past statements about blocking anyone offering commercial editing,
> cf. Kohs).
>
> Today, the people concerned are chapter trustees and Wikipedians in
> Residence.
>
> I would say things have changed.

Precisely. Kohs and his ilk never showed any interest in anything but
themselves, and fully merit permabans. People like Max and Roger may have
conflicts of interest, but at least they've contributed something that
doesn't end in them making a buck. That's how they got in positions like
chapter trustee and Wikipedian in Residence.

Which is not to say that the situation is ideal, nor that Sarah and others
are wrong to be nervous. If someone with a COI did something that was
inappropriate, I think it can and should be dealt with strictly and quickly
by the community, like always. But comments like the one you just made,
which are obviously designed to stir up some kind of moral panic, don't do
us any good.

Steven