[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation Seeks Declaratory Relief in response to Legal Threats from Internet Brands

Deryck Chan deryckchan at wikimedia.hk
Wed Sep 12 10:42:19 UTC 2012

One possibility lies within their terms of use:
"If you're not interested in our goals, or if you agree with our goals but
refuse to collaborate, compromise, reach
consensus<http://wikitravel.org/en/Wikitravel:Consensus>or make
concessions with other Wikitravellers, we ask that you not use this
Web service. If you continue to use the service against our wishes, we
reserve the right to use whatever means available -- technical or legal --
to prevent you from disrupting our work together."

The goals page (http://wikitravel.org/en/Wikitravel:Goals_and_non-goals)
does imply the goal of making Wikitravel the travel guide, not just a
travel guide. It is therefore possible to make a case against the
fork-enthusiasts, and James in particular because he spent more time on
Wikitravel preparing the fork than actually improving Wikitravel, that
they're violating the Wikitravel terms of use in some fringe way, which is
a form of breach of contract.

I'm glad that WMF has decided to file a counter-suit and help James and
Ryan defend their cases.
Deryck