[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 19:47:06 UTC 2012

On 7 September 2012 20:40, Daniel Zahn <dzahn at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
> <rodrigo.argenton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> and I'm wondering how they will sue for importing content that is on free
>> license...
>
> Well, it's "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike", so will have to
> attribute Wikitravel and the original author(s) on every single page.
>
> http://wikitravel.org/shared/Copyleft

Why attribute Wikitravel? The license only requires the author to be
attributed, not the first publisher. Ideally, content will be copied
across with the page history intact, which will constitute the
appropriate attribution (in the same way it does on Wikipedia). I
haven't been following too closely - are there any dumps available? It
seems unlikely it will be possible to get any now (I doubt IB can be
compelled to provide one).