[Wikimedia-l] 2012 Editor survey launched

Tilman Bayer tbayer at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 31 00:25:24 UTC 2012

Hi all,

we have just launched the Foundation's 2012 editor survey; with
invitations to participate being shown to logged-in users on Wikipedia
and Commons.

A few quick facts about the survey (for more refer to
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_2012
):

* This is the third survey of editors as envisaged in the Foundation's
2010-15 strategic plan "in order to take the pulse of the community
and identify pressing issues or concerns", after the April 2011 and
December 2011 surveys.

* The first main purpose of this survey is to continue the work of the
2011 studies (conducted by Mani Pande and Ayush Khanna), with a focus
on tracking changes since last year and identifying trends.
Which is why many questions are being repeated from last time.

* The second emphasis in this instance of the survey is to measure the
satisfaction of the editing community with the work of the Wikimedia
Foundation.

* This is the first editor survey that includes a non-Wikipedia
project (Commons, for the questions that are non Wikipedia-specific).

* Thanks to everyone who commented on the draft questionnaire after we
solicited feedback on this list and in and IRC office hour, as well as
to those who commented about the last survey. We made several changes
based on the feedback, and tried to reply to all concerns.

* Also many thanks to all volunteer translators who reviewed or
contributed translations; the questionnaire is available in 14
languages (Italian, Polish and Portuguese will launch a bit later).

* As with the previous two surveys, the results will be published in
the following forms: A "topline" report detailing the percentage of
https://blog.wikimedia.org analyzing the results, and a data set
consisting of anonymized responses which others can use to do their
own analyses. This time we will also aim to produce language-specific
topline reports (an approach we already tested for Chinese with the
data from the December 2011 survey).

--
Tilman Bayer
Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)