[Wikimedia-l] Romney and copyright

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Mon Oct 29 15:12:21 UTC 2012

David Gerard wrote:
> On 29 October 2012 13:39, Federico Leva (Nemo) <nemowiki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If the question is indiscreet/offtopic forgive me and ignore it/more it
>> another list, but: what are Romney's views on copyright?
>> I read on today's Financial Times Europe (p. 4) that he has a couple
>> millions dollars invested on Hollywood funds, so is it pessimistic to say
>> that he must hold horrible positions on copyright?
>
> Both parties appear to strongly support the present regime.

I'm not sure this is totally fair.

I think the White House has somewhat embraced Creative Commons for certain
works and there's some good work going on at <http://www.data.gov>.

Of course, all works of the United States federal government done by federal
employees are automatically public domain, so in many ways, the U.S.
government is way ahead of the curve on this issue. ;-)

Regarding Mr. Romney in particular, he seems to be very
pro-corporation/pro-business, so I don't expect any major changes to
copyright law should he be elected President.

MZMcBride