[Wikimedia-l] Info action

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Tue Oct 23 21:39:31 UTC 2012

Richard Symonds wrote:
> This looks fantastic, and very useful! I'm not sure how related this is,
> but is there any way the page can also pull up page views? Or would that be
> a problem? My understanding is that page views puts too much load on the
> servers, so it may well be unworkable...
>
> It's also be useful to be able to see how many editors, authors etc there
> were in the past 24 hours - again, I'm not sure if this is doable, but I
> thought I'd throw it out there!

Yes, I had a similar thought last evening. :-) I've filed a few bugs about
this:

* "Incorporate analytics into MediaWiki's info action (tracking)"
  https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/41326

* "Add page views graph(s) to MediaWiki's info action"
  https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/41327

* "Add edit history graph(s) to MediaWiki's info action"
  https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/41329

Andy Mabbett wrote:
> On 22 October 2012 22:41, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>> for some users (such as administrators), certain additional fields (such
>> as the number of page watchers) will be displayed.
>
> Why is this for admins only?

Good question! There's a thorough explanation of the background of this at
<https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/39957>.

In short, the plan going forward is to make this value configurable
per-wiki. So you'll have an "or" condition. Users will be able to see the
number of page watchers if they have the "unwatchedpages" user right (by
default, administrators have this user right) _or_ if the number of watchers
meets or exceeds the value set (on a per-wiki basis) via a new configuration
variable ($wgUnwatchedPageThreshold). So, for example, the English Wikipedia
might set this value to 30, while smaller wikis might set it lower.

David Gerard wrote:
> On 23 October 2012 10:59, Richard Symonds
> <richard.symonds at wikimedia.org.uk> wrote:
>> This looks fantastic, and very useful! I'm not sure how related this is,
>> but is there any way the page can also pull up page views? Or would that be
>> a problem? My understanding is that page views puts too much load on the
>> servers, so it may well be unworkable...
>
> History pages on en:wp already have a link to stats.grok.se, shouldn't
> be hard to put such a link here as well.

In fact, it's already there and has been for a few weeks. ;-)  Part of the
design of the action was to add a header and footer section. In this case,
those exact links from ?action=history (where not all of them ever made much
sense, honestly) have been copied to ?action=info. The relevant system
message is <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Pageinfo-footer>.

MZMcBride