[Wikimedia-l] Real identifies when dealing with copyright issues

James Heilman jmh649 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 16:43:57 UTC 2012

Someone has posted a question about WP:OUTING. We are currently dealing
with a copyright issue ( a textbook has copied liberally from Wikipedia
without proper attribution and the author claiming the work as their own ).
Before we inform the publisher however we need to make sure that the author
of the book is not a Wikipedia editor who wrote the original content and
than released it under a different license. In this instance this was not
the case.

However is the simply fact of attempting to verify that an author is not a
Wikipedian considered WP:OUTING? Not attempting to verify it before
informing the publisher and amazon however would be unethical as we may
harm someones career and need to make sure we are correct. Other peoples
thoughts?

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian