[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Chapter Association, Think Tank about the roles of the association

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Thu Oct 18 11:08:42 UTC 2012

Hi Charles,

that sounds interesting. I would like to suggest that some of this
discussion already happened very fruitfully in Washington before Wikimania.
Several chapter members were already present, and used the room that was
originally reserved by WCA people to have a rather informal chapters
meeting. Minutes/notes are available here:
http://etherpad.wikimedia.org/wikimania-2012-7-11 . That includes at least
a lot of suggestions on what people were expecting at the time the WCA to
do and how to accomplish it. A summary (incomplete and without much nuance)
would be:

* Knowledge transfer
** Human face
** Phone number
** Automated Searchable Activity File-database [1]
* Communications flow (multilateral)
* Yellow pages
* Interchapter coordination
* International projects facilitation
* Single voice to WMF / help negotiations

[1] A database (or other tool like semantic Mediawiki) that lists all
projects performed by the chapters and listing the resources needed and
their outcomes. Ie. it should be possible to put a query like "I have 2
volunteers, €1000 and want more editors" and get a list of projects that
fit these constraints.