[Wikimedia-l] Copy and paste

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 07:26:57 UTC 2012

How hard would it be to set up a tool like the software that as far as I
know the MIT uses to automatically check plagiarism among thesis etc.
submitted to their digital library, checking the text of all Wikimedia
projects against e.g. newspaper websites and Google Books, and then
publishing the results in some visually appealing way to show how much
newspapers copy from Wikipedia and each other?
On it.wiki we regularly see complaints and unhappy discussions about
newspaper articles which are just a copy and paste from Wikipedia and
still feature a "COPY RESERVED" warning without citing any source...
newspapers are by definition arrogant, so nothing can be done to stop
them, but an informative tool would be useful and might be as effective
as wikiscanner was with regard to IP editing from organizations.

Nemo

James Heilman, 18/10/2012 07:26: