[Wikimedia-l] Wikivoyage project launch/migration update

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 17 14:11:44 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 10:36:28AM +0200, Juergen Fenn wrote:
> 2012/10/17 Deryck Chan <deryckchan at wikimedia.hk>:
>
> > I think Strainu is referring to languages that exist on Wikitravel but not
> > Wikivoyage.
>
> Probably a practical question: As Wikitravel closed the API in August,
> there is probably no more data that Wikivoyage could rescue from the
> project than now is available in Wikivoyage. If a language community
> needs a fresh start in Wikivoyage it would have to begin from the very
> beginning. In this case it would be best to go through Incubator.

Actually I'd look into some (old?) versions of the old pywikipedia bot framework.
Originally, pywikipedia used screen/web-scraping, which should always work. Possibly pywikipedia is overkill even,
depending on what options are still open on wikitravel.

If no one has done so, and people feel a pressing need, (and if you can find
me): call me, beep me, and  I might yet take a look.

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning

ps. For reasons, I'd like to stress that this applies to fetching CC-licensed content
only; as created by CC-licensors only; as permitted by that license only. -Which
applies to most/all of wikitravel as per TOS and licensing terms AFAICT.

pps. (note: my TODO-list is long and ancient :-/ tips on list-management appreciated!)