[Wikimedia-l] Wikivoyage project launch/migration update

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 08:33:59 UTC 2012

2012/10/17 Amir E. Aharoni <amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il>:
> 2012/10/17 Strainu <strainu10 at gmail.com>:
>> 2012/10/17 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> This has been discussed in the language committee. In the committee we all
>>> agreed that the existing languages for Wikivoyage should start without any
>>> interference of us and that new languages should start through the normal
>>> process because from now they are just like any other new project in a
>>> language.
>>
>> But how about languages already existing in Wikitravel? They already
>> have the content, if not the community.
>
> As Gerard said, the existing languages for Wikivoyage should start
> without any interference.

But the question is about exisitng Wikitravel languages. For example
there is hebrew Wikitravel but there is no hebrew Wikivoyage.

http://wikitravel.org/he/%D7%A2%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%93_%D7%A8%D7%90%D7%A9%D7%99

Actually the hebrew version of wikitravel has only 102 articiles but
for example Polish:

http://wikitravel.org/pl/Strona_g%C5%82%C3%B3wna

has 2585, although actually is in fact half-dead and going through the
incubator-language committee process will rather discourage the tiny
community of Polish wikitravel to switch to vikivoyage, so the effect
will be that Polish wikivoage won't appear in predictable future. I
guess the same will be with other mid-size wikitravel language
versions of which there are a couple around...

Hope I am wrong anyway :-)

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/