[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Andreas Kolbe jayen466 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 12:58:30 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Osama Khalid <osamak at gnu.org> wrote:

> Actually, censorship is imposed through a national proxy run by the
> Communication and Information Technology Commission[1].  ISPs do not
> get to pick and choose.
>
> [0]: http://www.econtent.org.sa/
> [1]: http://internet.sa/

Just noticed that according to Google Translate, the Saudi telecom
ministry's internet.sa page has Wikipedia in the little olive box in the
top left, under the heading:

"We chose you – the Association of the Week."  :)

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Finternet.sa%2F

;)

(You may have to reload the page a couple of times in Google Translate to
see it; the box has rotating content.)

Jimbo has said on English Wikipedia that he knows nothing about this, so it
does not seem to have been a board decision:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jimbo_Wales#Saudi_Arabia_partnership_and_censorship

---o0o---

I personally know nothing about this partnership. I am deeply concerned
about any collaboration with people who practice censorship. But I also
acknowledge there are many complexities and possibilities. I'll investigate
and if I'm unhappy about it, I'll let you know. And if I'm happy about it,
I'll let you know. --Jimbo Wales<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jimbo_Wales>
 (talk <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jimbo_Wales#top>) 02:41, 16
October 2012 (UTC)

---o0o---