[Wikimedia-l] Proposed Wikimedia Medicine Thematic Organisation

Tomasz Ganicz polimerek at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 20:36:27 UTC 2012

2012/10/14 James Heilman <jmh649 at gmail.com>:
> Thematic organizations have the same amount of authority over content on
> Wikipedia as chapters. To spell this out clearly that means NONE. One does
> not put these sorts of details in a NGOs by laws however this will be
> clearly described in the policies once incorporated.

Authority - none - but as the main goal of chapters is just to support
Wikimedia projects and communities as a whole rather without any
direct influence over project's content or rules of the projects,
thematic associations are clearly about the content of projects as
such. If Wikimedia Medicine activity had no any impact over medical
content of Wikipedias there would not have any sense to have such
organization :-)

I think it is nothing wrong with it, I rather see great opportunity
here - for example in bringing more professionals to edit Wikipedias
and - maybe - be able to successfully apply for scientific grants from
relevant governmental and private sources...

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/