[Wikimedia-l] Please can someone put 50p in the meter

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 17:33:54 UTC 2012

I evade account creation by always making them log in first...

Periodically, with a roomful of users, we'll get told that an edit has been
"throttled"; no further details, I think. It seems to happen with one or at
most two editors at a time out of a dozen, but it can happen to different
people later on. This happened several times in a couple of weeks in the
summer (I only started workshops in June), and then occasionally since -
including yesterday. I originally assumed it was related to external-link
additions by new users, but I've seen it for no-link sandbox edits as well.

My guess is that this entails something to do with checking for multiple
edits from the same IP at once, but I don't know if this is actually the
reason, or if it can be disabled/whitelisted.

(It's the one I give, though! Corrections gratefully appreciated)

- Andrew.