[Wikimedia-l] WMF core and non core expenses

charles andrès charles.andres at wikimedia.ch
Mon Oct 8 14:38:40 UTC 2012

Dear Sue,
I partially disagree with the statement "we're not in a position where we need to make extraordinarily difficult choices about whether to preserve"

If you consider the WMF financial reserves it's true, but for what I understand, the FDC should decide about the distribution of the forthcoming fundraising and so we can only guess that the movement has no fundings problem. If this winter we cannot reach the total amount fixed, what will happen? The entities that apply to the FDC will have to share the money that remain after the WMF took a lot more than what is needed to operate the project (bottom base).

I personnaly agree that the "core" should be more than only the basics, but there should be something between this extremitiy and the actual WMF FDC proposal where the community can comment only 10% of the real WMF budget.

What I could suggest is too split the WMF proposal in two parts: 1)the expanded core (high priority) 2) the non core (lower priority=actual FDC proposal). In this case, if the fundraising is not successful has intend, the cost of the difficult choices will be assumed by all the part of the movement.

sincerely

Charles

Charles ANDRES, Chairman
"Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
www.wikimedia.ch
Skype: charles.andres.wmch
IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch