[Wikimedia-l] Techdirt: Apparently All That Stuff About Needing SOPA To Go After Foreign Sites Was Bogus

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 20:26:59 UTC 2012

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121126/17190821152/apparently-all-that-stuff-about-needing-sopa-to-go-after-foreign-sites-was-bogus.shtml

"Tim covered the story of ICE doing its annual censorship binge in
seizing domain names without adversarial hearings (as we still believe
is required under the law). However, there were a couple of additional
points worthy of a followup. First off, if you remember, one of the
key reasons why we were told SOPA was needed was that for all of ICE's
previous domain takedowns it was "impossible" for it to take down
foreign domains. Except... as ICE's own announcement here shows that
was completely untrue. It seems to have had no difficulty finding
willing law enforcement partners around the globe to seize websites
without any due process [...]  Apparently it's possible for ICE to
censor those sites if it actually does a little work and calls up its
law enforcement pals."

- d.