[Wikimedia-l] FDC recommendations on funds allocation, Round 1, 2012-13

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:26:52 UTC 2012

On 16 November 2012 13:06, Osmar Valdebenito <osmar at wikimediachile.cl> wrote:
> Yes, it would be great to have a lot of details and I haven't seen any
> problems by the FDC to provide them as long as you ask them but you can't
> expect them to do all that extra work 'for free'.

Yes, you can. When you volunteer for a position like that, you are
making a commitment to put in the necessary work. The "we're just
volunteers" excuse gets rolled out far too often around here.
Volunteers that have made commitments to do a job have an obligation
to do it.

I want to be clear, I'm not saying the FDC haven't done their job -
they seem to have considered the issues very well and the report is,
at least, satisfactory. I'm just saying that being a volunteer isn't
an excuse. We should make certain allowances for volunteers that we
wouldn't make for staff (particularly, we have to be flexible - staff
can be expected to be at their desks between 9am and 5pm, volunteers
do their work whenever then get a spare moment), but we should still
require that jobs are done well. If it turns out to be impossible to
find volunteers willing and able to do a particular job well, then we
need to re-think it.