[Wikimedia-l] [Wikitech-l] Fwd: [Tech/Product] Engineering/Product org structure

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Nov 7 22:33:56 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Quim Gil <quimgil at gmail.com> wrote:

> Whatever the result, I hope we end up with teams where software developers,
> sysadmins, product managers, designers etc are well mixed in focused teams
> going after clear common goals.

Absolutely. Teams are assembled cross-functionally to ensure that all
required skills are present in a team. This will not change in the new
structure. Indeed there are ways in which we need to do better (e.g.
involving ops/architects earlier in the development process on major
feature initiatives). The departments represent functional groupings,
while teams are inherently cross-functional, which is a pretty
conventional structural approach.

I've asked Howie to weigh in a bit on the definition and role of
Product Managers, User Experience Designers, Visual Designers,
Interaction Designers, Research Analysts, Community Liaisons and other
functions grouped in Product. I'll write a bit more in this thread in
a few days as well (about to head to Bangalore for the hackathon
there).

All best,
Erik

--