[Wikimedia-l] Board resolutions on bylaw amendments and appointment of Foundation staff officers

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 01:01:32 UTC 2012

Bylaw changes are never housekeeping.

This resolution does change the composition of the board.

Two seats had a defined role, with clear responsibilities. Now they dont.
Of course there is always shared responsibility, but having one person
chiefly responsible ensures someone is focused on those responsibilities
and does not allow themselves to be distracted.

One seat (treasurer) needed to have relevant professional experience. Now
it doesnt.

At least one additional WMF staff officer (the new secretary) will,
presumably, now be present at all board meetings.

I dont mind the change, but discussion would have resulted in better
options being considered and hopefully enacted. We were given a good score
for our 'terms and conditions' rewrite. We could have achieved the same
with this bylaws update.

John Vandenberg.
sent from Galaxy Note