[Wikimedia-l] Board resolutions on bylaw amendments and appointment of Foundation staff officers

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 00:01:56 UTC 2012

It would strike me that one of the "urgencies" that might be involved is
the fact that this resolution was passed so that the Board member who had
previously been the secretary could participate as an individual board
member, and the appointed secretary could take the minutes. It's extremely
rare for a staffed charity/non-profit to have sitting trustees acting as
secretary or treasurer, and none of the discussion here has indicated any
concern about this decision; this was essentially housekeeping.  Therefore,
the only thing I can take from this is that it is a process issue, and that
some members of the community wish to know in advance and in detail what
the board will be discussing.  I can understand that; at the same time, I
think that attempting to micro-manage the board over housekeeping items is
not terribly helpful. Now, if the Board had been deciding on its
composition (which as best I can tell was never publicly discussed the last
time it was changed), I think that would certainly benefit from community
input.

Risker