[Wikimedia-l] Democratizing the Wikimedia Foundation

Anders Wennersten mail at anderswennersten.se
Sat Nov 3 13:18:28 UTC 2012

After just being in our first FDC committee session, I do want to
promote this way of handling issue to be spread to other issue areas too.

The FDC is a committee consisting of community members looking into on
specific issue area and preparing recommendation to the Board. This
enables broader involvement but also greater transparency, as all
preparation material and assessments are public.

We also have a GAC with a similar approach and the group that took over
after ChapCom. Why not extend this to other areas having thing like a
GLAM Advisory committee, preparing material for the Board and any global
framework needed in the are. A software/operation advisory committee
overlooking everything related to our server operation and products. A
community advisory committee, handling issues like legal support,
wikimania, global arbcom etc.

Ie democratize the preparation of issues for the board, rather then
discussing the internal operations of the Board

Anders