[Wikimedia-l] 2012 Editor survey launched

Tilman Bayer tbayer at wikimedia.org
Sat Nov 3 03:57:33 UTC 2012

Hi John,

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tilman,
>
> Could you explain the logic behind the survey link not being static until
> the user completes the survey or dismisses the notice?
I guess you are referring to the fact that the survey invitation
banner is designed to be shown only once to each user? This is
explained in the Q&A for the survey:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Wikipedia_Editor_Survey_2012#Why_will_a_user_see_the_link_to_the_survey_only_once.3F_How.3F
In short, it's intended to reduce bias towards more frequent editors.
There are reasons for and against this setup, but it's one of the many
things that we want to keep consistent with the last survey so as to
be able to do longitudinal analysis, i.e. identify trends.

(In case this is not what you meant, feel free to rephrase the
question and I will try to reply again.)

> I appreciate that you're offering, via email, to give people the survey
> link if they missed it, but that will influence who ends up your survey
> population. Not everyone on your target population is subscribed to a list
> whetr this offer has been made.
I understand this concern from a theoretical standpoint, but
considering the fact that only four people have requested such a link
so far, the bias that this introduces is likely to be negligible. - If
one goes down that road, one would need to worry much more about the
effect of announcements and discussions about the survey on mailing
lists and on Meta before it has completed, but this is a price we are
happy to pay to involve the community and achieve transparence.