[Wikimedia-l] Board resolutions on bylaw amendments and appointment of Foundation staff officers

Federico Leva (Nemo) nemowiki at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 00:53:46 UTC 2012

Bishakha Datta, 02/11/2012 17:08:
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Benjamin Lees wrote:
>
>> This doesn't seem too unreasonable in itself, but it is somewhat surprising
>> that you didn't readjust the board's composition accordingly.  The
>> justification for having unelected seats is to ensure that the board has
>> people with specific skills or backgrounds, and my impression was that
>> getting someone with accounting experience to serve as treasurer was part
>> of that.
>>

> And that accounting experience is still very much needed on the Board - to
> head the Audit Committee and to oversee the treasurer.

This seems quite a weak answer to Benjamin's point: if the experience of
an "expert" board member is relevant/needed only for one committee which
can consist also of non-board members (who in principle can also head
it), then the board may well decide to restrict his/her partecipation to
that committee, to take advantage of that experience where it's most
effective and free a board position to allow further diversification and
expansion of board member experiences.

Nemo