[Wikimedia-l] Board resolutions on bylaw amendments and appointment of Foundation staff officers

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Fri Nov 2 22:46:05 UTC 2012

Samuel Klein wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
>> In the past, Sam has said that private solicitation of Board members to
>> introduce a resolution was the best approach.
>
> *Public* solicitation, actually. I can't think of any reason to privately
> solicit individual Board members.
>
> Proposed resolutions should be drafted in public on Meta.
>
> What I believe I said is: the policy for moving to vote on a Board
> resolution is simple (per
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Vote:Board_deliberations ) : any
> resolution that two Trustees move/second for a vote will be reviewed and
> voted on within ~3 weeks.

My apologies. I read your previous suggestion during the travel guide
discussion and the only real route for communicating with a Board member to
solicit a proposal seemed to me to be private user-to-user e-mail. Are there
other (a)venues available? Should people be using wiki user talk pages for
this?

At some point, there's a (somewhat awkward) divide between the way other
non-profit boards operate and wiki culture. E-mail seemed like the only
logical bridge in this context, but perhaps there are better solutions.

Drafting resolutions on Meta-Wiki sounds good. Does the Board do that? (-:

>> Developers use Bugzilla to track issues. I'm not sure what Board members
>> use. Mandatory notification prior to bylaws changes seems like an issue
>> that
>> has suffered from poor issue tracking, as a request that ultimately needs a
>> (Board) resolution. Perhaps a page at Meta-Wiki could track such requests?
>
> How about a Board board?  https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/BN

:-)

MZMcBride