[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia-blog] Wikimedia blog contributions; make participation invitation more obvious

Guillaume Paumier gpaumier at wikimedia.org
Fri Nov 2 20:12:02 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Tilman Bayer <tbayer at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> (Guillaume has indeed done most of the work on the blog design in the
> past, but nowadays his time for working on the blog is unfortunately
> very limited by his other duties.)

Indeed. I continue to help a bit as a volunteer, but I can't devote
work hours to it any more.

> We are currently throwing around ideas for a redesign of the whole
> blog in a "Newsroom" style, with a stronger emphasis on thematic
> sub-blogs and widening participation further. Also, Daniel and I have
> recently been talking about the possibility of having the blog in
> Labs, which in this case would have enabled you to suggest that
> invitation link by just coding it yourself ;)

Actually, if all we want is some text and / or picture in the sidebar
to encourage participation, it's trivial to add that using a widget.
The sidebar used to be hard-coded in the theme, but I changed that to
use widgets, so now any blog admin can add, remove and edit widgets.

That said, improvements to the theme are welcome as well. If someone
is familiar with WordPress, I actually have a few outstanding commits
that would love to be reviewed :)
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/q/status:open+owner:Guillom,n,z

--
Guillaume Paumier
Technical Communications Manager — Wikimedia Foundation