[Wikimedia-l] Board resolutions on bylaw amendments and appointment of Foundation staff officers

Lodewijk lodewijk at effeietsanders.org
Fri Nov 2 18:23:24 UTC 2012

Hi Phoebe,

thanks a lot for the history :) I indeed remember this discussion. I also
remember having this discussion even before that (I believe with Florence
who was chair at the time, but I'm not sure) and indeed thought to
recollect that it was generally agreed upon to do this differently in the
future. I couldn't find any written statements to that effect though, so
that is why I left it out here.

I hope that you will join me in the discussion on
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Democratizing_the_Wikimedia_Foundation.
Your suggestions of a seperate procedural document makes sense. In several
chapters they have such a procedural document - of a lower importance than
the bylaws, but still a governing document. Considering that the Foundation
is a foundation though (and not an association) and that bylaw changes
/only/ require a simple majority and no supermajority, I also can imagine
this to be part of the bylaws themselves - but that is procedural.

Best,
Lodewijk