[Wikimedia-l] Board vote on narrowing focus

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 17:51:33 UTC 2012

On 11/2/12 8:15 AM, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
> Samuel Klein, 02/11/2012 16:01:
>>> * Institutional support for the GLAM related activities in the US
>>> (until
>>> the US Federation is fully functional, if ever)
>>>

>> I agree there is room for a global GLAM support for regions that
>> don't have
>> local [chapter] organization.  Why do you feel this is a special problem
>> for the US, compared to other archive-rich parts of the world - given
>> the
>> two regional chapters and numerous present and past Wikipedians in
>> residence?
>
> The problem is always the same, i.e. that the WMF acts as WM-USA while
> a chapter is missing, rather than being truly global.
> Random (unfair?) recent example: WLM-USA uses the allegedly global
> "Wikimedia blog"
> <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/10/31/wiki-loves-monuments-us-top-ten-photos-announced/>
> unlike all the other national editions.

There is a US blog: http://www.wikilovesmonuments.us/

I'm not sure why it was posted on the WMF blog. I'm sure if other
countries submitted their top ten's they'd be posted to the WMF blog.

Remember: anyone in the movement - around the world - can write a blog
for the WMF blog, in any language they want. So do it!

-Sarah

--
*Sarah Stierch*
*/Museumist and open culture advocate/*