[Wikimedia-l] 2011 Picture of the Year Competition

Srikant Kedia wikiodisha1 at gmail.com
Wed May 30 14:16:16 UTC 2012

Dear Wikimedians,

Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2011 Picture of the Year
competition is now open at last. We're interested in your opinion as to
which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year for 2011 (not for 2012).
Any user registered at Commons or a Wikimedia wiki SUL-related to Commons
with more than 75 edits before 1 April 2012 (UTC) is welcome to vote. Check
your eligibility
now<http://toolserver.org/%7Epathoschild/accounteligibility/?user=&wiki=&event=24>
! If you meet the criteria, you are eligible to vote.

Nearly 600 images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the
international Wikimedia Commons community in the past year are all entered
in this competition. From professional animal and plant shots to
breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant
images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems,
diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human
portraits, Commons features pictures of all flavors.

For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two
rounds of voting will be held: In the first round, you can vote for as many
images as you like. The first round the top 32 images , by number of votes,
from any category will go to the final round - the categories are
irrelevant when it comes to counting the votes. If no picture of one topic
category is not in the top 32s, that will be also promoted to the Final to
guarantee a diverse final. In the final round, when a limited number of
images are left, you must decide on the one image that you want to become
the Picture of the Year.

To see the candidate images just go to:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2011/Galleries

Wikimedia Commons is interested in hearing your opinions on our featured
images of 2011. The deadline for first round voting is 2012-06-04 at 23:59
(UTC).

Thanks,
Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year committee
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:POTY/2011