[Wikimedia-l] Academics and accessible writing

Ziko van Dijk vandijk at wmnederland.nl
Tue May 29 16:52:45 UTC 2012

2012/5/29 David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>:
> No, I think it's incorrect to assume "readable" is a euphemism for
> "dumbed down". Frankly, many academics are terrible writers. Because
> most people are terrible writers.

Indeed. As Wikipedia is a general reference work I think that
readability is part of the quality. A text that is not understood by
the supposed readers is a bad text. In the Wikipedia lessons at
Stuttgart School for the Media, which I accompany, I try to stress out
how important this quality element is.

Frequently I don't understand Wikipedia articles which deal with
technical and (natural) science subjects. We historians have the
reputation to be some of the best writers among scientists, but
sometimes I wonder whether my articles are as comprehensible as I
believe they are. I would like to see more feedback from readers, but
am afraid that the Article Feedback Tool is still not a good solution.

I am afraid that most of those Wikipedians who could need readability
lessons are not aware of the problems they cause to readers.

Kind regards
Ziko

Vereniging Wikimedia Nederland
dr. Ziko van Dijk, voorzitter