[Wikimedia-l] TomTom does a Britannica

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue May 29 13:50:28 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 9:43 AM, Strainu <strainu10 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/5/29 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
>> I just tried osmand.  I can't even figure out how to put in an
>> address.  I then tried navfree usa.
>
> You're limiting yourself to Android, which isn't very fair. Try to get
> hold of a Garmin device with OSM maps and see if that makes a
> difference. I suspect it will. (Garmin also has some GPS apps for
> iPhone, but not for Android. I have no idea if you can load OSM maps
> on those apps)

I'm not doubting that someone can take OSM data and make it into
something usable.  I'm not even doubting that someone *has* taken OSM
data and made it into something usable.

But I think the analogy between being able to take OSM data, probably
add a lot of your own data (espectially for the geolocation
information, which is fantastic in some locations, and horrible in
others), and being able to go to en.wikipedia.org and just use it, is
a very weak analogy.