[Wikimedia-l] TomTom does a Britannica

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue May 29 12:27:54 UTC 2012

On 29 May 2012 13:08, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> The difference is that Wikipedia is usable in the real world, whereas
> OSM, for the most part, is not.
> Yes, TomTom is dying.  But it's because of Google, not because of OSM.

I'd actually flag smartphones as the culprit. They're the good-enough
cheap alternative that's disrupting the satnav business. TomTom's
article is actually about an Android app that uses OSM data.

Heck, my Blackberry doesn't have a GPS, but I can navigate usably with
the Vodafone app that just triangulates off the cell towers.
Resolution is terrible (on the order of 100-200 metres), but it turns
out to be mostly sufficient.

- d.