[Wikimedia-l] Study: Nobody cares about your copyright

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Mon May 28 19:51:54 UTC 2012

On Monday, 21 May 2012, Samuel Klein wrote:

> > O'Reilly is offering works under 14 years (c), thence CC-by
>
> Campaign idea: set up a named class of license for friendly groups
> like O'Reilly that are committing to 14 years, which are defined by
> terming out in no more than 14 years to CC0 or equivalent PD
> declarations.

A thought on naming.

The obvious way to badge such a license is through Creative Commons; but
we've spilled vast amounts of metaphorical ink over "is NC free?" and "is
ND free?", and one of the results is a good deal of confusion over what a
"free license" is, what we should campaign for, etc etc etc.

If we throw into the mix *another* license from the same stable, the
situation gets even more muddled. The inevitable vague descriptions ("this
work is under a creative commons license" with no definition or link is
surprisingly common) will encompass a much wider range of use cases - "do
what you like, just credit me" and "all rights utterly reserved until 2025"
will be under the same umbrella.

- Andrew.

--
- Andrew Gray