[Wikimedia-l] WMF to endorse a petition to the White House mandate free access to publicly funded research

Dario Taraborelli dtaraborelli at wikimedia.org
Thu May 24 19:26:20 UTC 2012

Hi everybody,

I wanted to give you the heads up that the Wikimedia Foundation is planning to endorse a petition to the White House to mandate open access to taxpayer-funded research. The petition is in line with previous open access declarations that we endorsed and is supported by a large number of organizations including Creative Commons, the Public Library of Science and the Open Knowledge Foundation. The White House will give a formal response if the petition hits 25K signatures within 30 days (by June 19).

We are aiming to publish a blog post tomorrow morning PT and we put together some FAQ explaining how the decision was made and why we want to support this important initiative that is fully aligned with our mission. We'll send an announcement shortly to various other community outlets.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Blog/Drafts/Access2Research
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Access2Research

If you want to help please head off to: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Access2Research

Best,