[Wikimedia-l] Study: Nobody cares about your copyright

Kirill Lokshin kirill.lokshin at gmail.com
Mon May 21 23:38:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:

> David Gerard writes:
> > O'Reilly is offering works under 14 years (c), thence CC-by
>
> Campaign idea: set up a named class of license for friendly groups
> like O'Reilly that are committing to 14 years, which are defined by
> terming out in no more than 14 years to CC0 or equivalent PD
> declarations.

I think we're unnecessarily conflating the question of whether authors
should enjoy exclusive control of their work with the related but distinct
question of whether authors should receive credit for their work.  It's
perfectly possible for people who are in perfect agreement on the first
issue to disagree on the second; and I think that, in practical terms,
legitimate reuse of cultural works (of the sort that is of interest to the
Wikimedia movement) is unlikely to be stifled by an attribution requirement
along the lines of CC-by or similar licenses.

Kirill