[Wikimedia-l] [Announcement] James Forrester joins WMF as Technical Product Analyst

Tobias church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com
Sun May 20 23:32:07 UTC 2012

On 05/17/2012 07:22 PM, Tom Morris wrote:
> You forgot one biggie: he has run the London Wikipedia meetup which
> first started in June 2004 has now met 57 times.
>
> Hong Kong has met more often, but London is, I believe, the "Original
> and Best" (in all 57 varieties).*

According to <s>urban legends</s> meta[1], Munich's meetup in 2003 was
the first.
Also, it has met around 100 times since then (monthly meetings since
2006 + some before and some extra meetings, like barbecue with Jimbo,
visiting mainframe computer sites, and hiking in the wonderful bavarian
landscape).

I guess Germany's "Stammtisch" culture is just much stronger, thats also
why there is a regular Wikipedia meetup in every mid-sized German city.

Nevertheless, that does not diminish JF's many accomplishments. ;-)
Congratulations on the new job!

Regards,
Tobias

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meetup#2003