[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Tilman Bayer officially joins the Wikimedia Foundation staff

Barry Newstead (WMF) bnewstead at wikimedia.org
Fri May 18 23:10:57 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to announce that Tilman Bayer has officially joined the Wikimedia Foundation's Global Development team as Senior Operations Analyst focused on movement communications starting this week. He has just relocated to SF after receiving his work visa.

As most of you will be aware, Tilman has been working in the communications team focusing on movement communications since last July, as a remote contractor based in Germany. He has been instrumental in the enhancement to our monthly reporting, continued improvement to our blogging and the development of our last annual report among other things. Tilman and Dario Taraborelli co-founded and continues to edit the monthly Wikimedia research newsletter. In particular, I'd like to highlight his work to get our reports translated, so that they are more accessible for the whole community.

In his new role as a staff member, Tilman will continue to work closely with the communications team in support of the whole foundation team, e.g. working on the WMF blog, editing the WMF monthly reports and annual report, and developing multi-lingual communications solutions . His role will now include the analysis of quantitative data and other research to understand and address movement communication challenges.  He will work on projects to improve our communications systems in partnership with other groups in the Foundation.  He will report to me for the short term, but will transition to reporting to our soon to be announced Director, Global Learning and Grantmaking.

As User:HaeB, Tilman has been active in both the German and English Wikipedia since 2003. He was a checkuser on the German Wikipedia for half a decade, and until joining WMF last year was the editor-in-chief of the Wikipedia Signpost, the English Wikipedia's community newsletter.  He holds degrees in mathematics from the University of Cambridge and the University of Bonn.

Please join me in welcoming Tilman to the Wikimedia Foundation team in San Francisco.

Best,
Barry

--
Barry Newstead