[Wikimedia-l] interview with ward cunningham

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Thu May 17 01:20:57 UTC 2012

There's a nice interview with Ward Cunningham (father of the wiki)
this week in Dr. Dobb's [a programming journal]. The interview covers
programming, techniques for working well, wikis and Wikipedia:

http://www.drdobbs.com/architecture-and-design/240000393

On wikis (p.2):
"I think that the thing I did right there was respect the people who
would come that I didn't even know, who had no right to deserve my
respect because I know nothing about them. But I would say, "Come on
in and I'll trust you to contribute in good faith and to make your
words a gift to this community." And we did. It was magical."

There's also a note that Ward is this year's recipient of the "Dr.
Dobb's Excellence in Programming Award", which is an exclusive award
given to just a handful of elite programmers (past recipients:
http://www.drdobbs.com/232500316). The award comes with a $1000 prize,
which Ward donated to the Wikimedia Foundation. Thanks, Ward, and many
congratulations!

-- phoebe

<at> gmail.com *